The Mysterious Battles for A Calculator

Friday, February 24, 2006


Me and calculators – I think it is a relationship that is not meant to be.

When I was leaving a particular company some time back, I was asked to return important company assets. Well and fine, because it’s the natural thing to do. But what surprised me was that the FIRST thing I was asked was whether I’ve returned the calculator. I thought there would be more important things like the company’s corporate card. Never mind.

And then there’s also this particular office where when I asked the stationery guy for a calculator, he was afraid to hand it over. So he referred me to go ask person B in Admin who may have more authority (to give me a calculator to do my job? Sounds odd but whatever). When I asked person B, she was also reluctant and asked me to go ask person C, who’s in COMPLIANCE department! OMG!! Am I asking for a lot here?? My response was “What?? Compliance Department needs to approve that I get a calculator?” And then I was told if I don’t want to go through the hassle, I should just buy my own. I gave up.

How come everyone else in my department gets a calculator but not me? I don’t know what I’m expected to calculate with. Maybe they are putting me to the test since I am an accounting & finance graduate?

I can’t figure out why calculators are such prized possessions. Or is it just me, having no affinity with calculators?

5 comments:

Nick said...

i don't have physical relationships with calculators ;-D

i just use the built-in virtual windows calculator ...

Anonymous said...

Mathematics is a universal language isn't it?

FooDcrazEE said...

the kiasuism i guess

Eternity said...

nick, now that i don't have any calculators, i use that too. not that convenient though. but better than to do math in my head.

jiro, you're right that math is universal - for simple additions and stuff. but i'd rather work smart than hard when things can be made easier. haha.

foodcrazee, maybe you're right. it's about who has the power huh?

Anonymous said...

girl... i still have the calculator from that particular company.. hehe..