I'm only human

Wednesday, March 01, 2006


Being
sickAND
stressed...

Not a good combination.




Yesterday I developed a bad sore throat. I was sitting in the conference room, in a meeting, when my throat felt dry and uneasy. By the time I was hitting the road home, it felt awfully painful whenever I swallowed. It even hurt when I spoke.

Got home and Mom made me 2 glasses of thick chlorophyll drink to ease the throat. It helped quite a bit. I woke up this morning with runny nose. I didn't feel well at all. But there was a meeting I had to attend this morning and some papers needed to be out. So I went to work.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a workaholic. It's just that I know if I don't show up today, I'll be cursed at.

While sitting in the same conference room this morning, I was shivering from the cold despite wearing quite a thick top and jacket. My body ached. My lower back felt like it was going to snap anytime and my legs were weak and numb.

After the meeting, I got on with the papers and knowing Murphy's law too well, things just can't seem to get on quite smoothly and there were more complications about those papers. By then my eyes were watery and I felt myself breathing out hot air. I needed to see a doctor and go home to sleep. So I did whatever I could and left at lunch time.

My voice has changed and I was feverish. The little piece of metal on my handbag strap felt like ice on my arm and I winced. The doctor confirmed I was running quite a high temperature. She was shocked that my throat was quite badly inflamed, too. She issued me 2 days of medical leave and I was glad to have it because at that time I felt like a zombie nearing death!

Anyway, I got home, took the medication and went to bed. When I woke up, I got an SMS from my colleague to say boss wants me to attend a meeting tomorrow afternoon. Just when I felt better physically, the stress of work came back to haunt me. I don't think I'm up to it to drive through the traffic and sit in a meeting for hours while under medication.

On the one hand, I was angry when saw the message, but on another, I felt guilty if I didn't show up.

So, to go or not to go?

My aching body says no, but my guilty heart says maybe I should. I know it's a matter of mind over body, but I'm also just human. When I get my sick leave, I just want to spend it away from the office...

7 comments:

Nick said...

just tell your boss you've got the symptoms of bird flu ...

Anonymous said...

have a good rest and hope you get well soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi. We hope you feel better soon. I'm sorry to have to hear about your ill condition there. I admire your diligence and determination however. =)

I'm going to have to agree with what these people said. Your doctor gave you 2 days to get some rest. Your employer would understand that you're not really good to present yourself in that state. Please stay home till your body gives you the green light.

Take care always.

FooDcrazEE said...

take care of urself - u r unfit to work....so ask ur boss to shaft it up...

Eternity said...

hi all. thanks for your well wishes. very, very much appreciated. am better and already back at work. lucky thing it's the weekend tomorrow! yehoo!!! :)

Bkworm said...

hmm...read this late. was going to tell you that you should stay at home and rest. Someone else can always attend the meeting on your behalf. But nvm, now you are ok, that is all that matters :) Have a great weekend!

Eternity said...

bkworm, yes lots better. thanks. if only i could have a boss who think like you all do... :) you too have a great weekend ahead.